Pontypool United RFC | 1st Team 27 - 43 Abergavenny RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
16 April 2024 / Team News

Abergavenny take 5 points away from home.

Abergavenny travelled to Pontypool united on Saturday in another bottom of the table encounter. With Pontypool not having a game this weekend this was likely to be a stern test for the claret and amber with united needing league points to avoid the threat of relegation. Abergavenny selected: Matt Hancock, Jay Admans, Matt Charles, James Trumper, Callum Poole, Morgan King, Harry Judd and Alex Howes in the forwards. Rhys Ferguson, Rob Lewis, Lloyd Holder, Rhys Jones, James Lewis, Anthony Squire and Nathan Williams in the three quarters.

The game began with both teams playing enterprising rugby, from one such Abergavenny attack Alex Howes broke through the United defense on halfway, he then linked up with Rhys Ferguson to score the opening try, converted by Rhys Jones. An error straight from the kickoff allowed United to reply with a converted try levelling the scores at 7 – 7. Following a United penalty Abergavenny attacked out wide once again, Anthony Squire rounded his opposition winger to score Abergavenny’s second try, regaining the lead 10 – 14. Pontypool United quickly replied, from a lineout in the Abergavenny 22, a driving maul ensued which resulted in a United try to retake the lead. This see saw contest continued when Alex Howes broke free in midfield, eventually being brought down meters from the line, quick ball was then recycled for Rob Lewis to cross for Abergavenny’s third try. Soon afterwards from a tap penalty James Lewis crossed for the bonus point try, converted by Rhys Jones giving the visitors a scoreline of 15 – 28 at halftime.

A fired-up Pontypool United side came out after halftime. They put Abergavenny under considerable pressure in their own 22. Ill discipline crept into the visitor’s game and the referee saw fit to start showing his yellow cards. Within minutes Abergavenny only had twelve players left on the field. The pressure told and United quickly crossed for two tries to close the scoreline to 27 – 28. Abergavenny then slowed the game down and held on in order to get their players back on the field. Substitutes Seren Strong-Wright, Alun Chesworth-Rickards, Eoin Shackleton, Connor Davies and Dayle Price entered the contest. They brought renewed energy to the contest, Harry Judd was soon able to secure a valuable turn-over, this was recycled for Rhys Jones to cross for a crucial score to lift the visiting supporters. Abergavenny were now back on top of their game, a flowing three-quarter move put Anthony Squire into space, he was able to out pace his opposite number and run in his second try to give the visitors a 27 – 40 lead. A further penalty kick late in the game was the only other scoring giving Abergavenny a hard fought victory by 27 - 43


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos