28 January 2020 / Club News

Clarets Lose to Crows with Final Touch of the Ball

On a wet dreary afternoon Abergavenny travelled to Cwmbran for what promised to be a tough league encounter and that is what it turned out to be for the claret and ambers .

With availability good Aber only made two changes from the previous week with Josh Hitchman replacing injured captain Josh Davies in the back row and Lewys Evans came in at scrum half .

The home side began the game playing down the slope and caught Abergavenny cold in the first five minutes taking advantage of Abers normal lacklustre start along with poor discipline to score two unconverted tries giving them a ten point lead in as many minutes.

Once again this Aber side showed their resilience and with much grit and determination fought their way back into the game scoring two excellent tries through Lewis Evans and Josh Hitchman one converted by Jacob Butler to give the away side the lead 10-12 .

From the restart once again Abergavennys poor discipline and game management allowed Cwmbran to retake the lead with two well struck penalty goals 16-12.

As half time approached Aber put in a massive effort to retake the lead only to be denied by some heroic defence from Cwmbran and had to settle for a penalty goal from Jacob Butler to leave the half time score 16-15 to the home side .

With Abergavenny now playing down the slope they began to get on top in all aspects of the game and kept the home side pegged down in their own half for long periods but good defence and the stop start nature of the game prevented any quick fix it scores . Eventually, the breakthrough came when after a long period of pressure the ball was moved wide to Jacob Butler to score in the corner to take the lead 20-16 .

Abergavenny now seemed to be in control of the game and looked odds on to take the points but a defensive error and some very lethargic defence allowed the Cwmbran winger to score an unconverted try to regain the lead 21-20 .

With time now running out Genny threw everything into attack and were rewarded with a penalty wide out which was converted by Dan Haymond to give Aber the lead 23-21 with minutes remaining.

The kick off was taken cleanly and the away side set about running the clock down deep in their own half but were penalised by the ref who had been fairly unpredictable all afternoon for sealing off the ball, the Cwmbran outside half struck the pressure kick perfectly to give the home side victory 24 - 23 and leave both Aber players and supporters very disappointed and thinking this was a victory that got away.

On the same afternoon Aber Quins played Pill Harries in a league game at Bailey Park hoping to consolidate their position at the top of the division and in front of a large home crowd they did not disappoint. Scoring four tries by Chris Smith  Sam Phillips  Nathan Mason and a penalty try they recorded a 26-0 victory over very tough opponents.

Due to the six nations there is now a break in league fixtures until the 15 Feb at home to  Croesyceiliog but weather permitting the youth will play Caerphilly in the cup on Friday night at Bailey Park .

Photo by Colin Watkins

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments